Friday, May 2, 2008

Myriah






Hi everyone.  Well I never would have imagined that I would end up where I am today.  After high school, I attended Snow College for two years then decided to become a nanny to get a chance to see more of the country and figure out what I wanted to do with my life.  I got a job in New Jersey and stayed there for for a few years.  Driving there is crazy!  I remember being so scared in driver's ed and totally going all over the road my first few times.  As I recall, Jason, Joe, and Bradley were in the car with me and I think I put the fear of God into them.. So going from that to Turn Pike driving in Jersey was quite a leap.  Nothing like being thrown into the lake to learn how to swim.  While there, I met my husband Jarad.  He attended the Joe Kubert School of ComicBook Art in Dover.  We had a long distance relationship for a good 3ish years then moved to Illinois together (where his family lives).  I taught preschool there while he worked at a bookstore and did art on the side.  We were married in May of 2004, after 4 years of dating.  I loved it in Illinois but his heart was set on California, where he grew up.  In the sweltering heat of August 2005, we caravaned to Los Angeles.  I became a nanny for an actress on Days of Our Lives while he tested video games for THQ and eventually was hired on at Yahoo as a content editor for the advertising section.  After a year and a half of working 60 hours a week, I switched jobs to where I am currently, nannying 30 hours a week for a fairly normal family in South Pasadena. We recently moved to an amazing location in Burbank.  We are literally down the street from The Tonight Show, Ellen, and Days of our Lives studios.  L.A has a lot to offer as far as things to do and see and we haven't even began to see it all.  I love traveling and we have managed to take a few great trips.  We cruised to the western Caribbean and hiked the Mayan pyramids for our honeymoon,  spent a week in Ireland in 2006, and I took a two week holiday with a girlfriend to Ireland and England just a couple months ago. I love Ireland!  I would love to go to Italy next but now we are saving for a house.  My Crohn's disease has put me in the hospital a few times and I've had some close calls but I'm managing it well now and keeping myself healthy and in good mental and physical shape.  Jarad has stood by my side and supported me through the thick of it, even when I looked more like Skeletor than his girlfriend/wife. We don't have any kids yet and probably won't for a few years.  I know all too well how much work it is and am not ready to give up my freedom yet. I will probably keep nannying until we are ready to start our family.  Jarad continues to do (and hate) the corporate 9 to 5 while doing freelance comic art jobs on the side.  We are considering moving to Chicago eventually to be close to his family and our friends who live just south of there.

2 comments:

ourhaskellfamily said...

Good job M riah your blog looks awesome! I bet your class will love it.

Mandy said...

YOU ARE STILL A BAD DRIVER! The crazy Cali divers only make you think you are a good one now. Best of luck.